6.10.2011

Scones to Die for

I'm back with an impromptu foodie post! Did you miss me? I'll be honest, I've been lurking around the blogs like a ghost. Have you felt that prickle on the back of your neck while updating a post? Probably me. But it feels good to stay connected with all your wonderful blogs. I've received great support for the I hate blogging, I'm taking a break break, and like with anything, sometimes too much isn't a good thing.

It's been ungodly hot in Philadelphia. It makes me ridiculously sluggish, and I only come out of the coolest room in the apartment to either eat, sleep, or watch Netflix. It's terrible to work out in, and I don't even want to talk about cooking. Our kitchen is south facing, and small. It feels like what I'd imagine the inside of pizza box would feel like. Sticky & steamy. Gross.

I promise to only complain a few times about the heat this summer. Maybe. No, I'm probably lying.

Anyway.

I did happen to make some wonderful scones, and they literally are the best ones I've ever eaten. It's a mixup of a sweet & savory all wrapped up in a buttermilky goodness.
So here we go with the recipe, feel free to switch out dried fruit of your liking, or whatever flavor dried meat (or bacon) you might find to be delicious.

Scones to Die for
1 box plain scone mix
1 stick unsalted butter, chilled & cubed
20 dried apricots, cut into small pieces - about one cup
6 ounces cooked maple favored bacon, cut into pieces
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
1 cup buttermilk, chilled

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Make sure a cooking rack is in the center of the oven. Spray a baking sheet with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.

In large bowl, combine scone mix and butter. It's easier if you have a food processor, if not you can surely use a beater or good ol' fashioned arm power! The mixture should be coarse and bumpy. Add cut pieces of apricots, bacon, and thyme. Stir. Add the buttermilk and mix until a sticky dough forms.

Place about 1/3 cupfuls of the dough onto prepared baking sheet (if you like a more casual looking scone). Bake until the tops start to brown slightly, about 16-18 minutes.

Place on cooling rack for about 20 minutes.









I fed these babies to my landlords (initially to butter them up before I asked to paint the dining room walls dark grey...which I chickened out of.) and they were talking about them for a week! I also got an email from my brother asking to overnight him a scone package. So, major party pleaser.

It's Friday, and this weekend's forecast is scattered thunderstorms. I'm super pumped about that, and fully intend on watching the clouds roll in while reading Harry Potter.

A great weekend to you all!





    2 comments:

    Andrea Krummel said...

    yay! i'm glad to see you back (even if it's just one post). these look AMAZING...

    kaelyn said...

    Beautiful, as always! The picture of the bacon is my favorite.



    apologizing in advance, harry potter 4 is in 3 or 4 pieces. I may or may not have read it one too many times.